Friday 14 October 2011

Mystery Nephew

In the 1891 Wales census, Thomas Huxtable Ball is living with his older brother, John, and sister, Charlotte in Little Hill, St. Andews & Dinas Powys. Included in the household is Robert Jno Edwards, age 3, who is shown as 'nephew'. The presence of the this young nephew in the household has always perplexed me. Where did he come from? Who were his parents? I knew from my great-aunt Gwen's note that Thomas' sister,Charlotte, had a child out of wedlock. Was Robert her child?

For many years, I thought so and struggled to find a birth registration for a Robert Edwards with a mother named Charlotte Ball. When I discovered the existence of Elizabeth Ann Ball and her subsequent marriage to a Robert Edwards, I thought the mystery had been solved. Little Robert was theirs and was staying or visiting on the day of the census.

However, in recent days, I have found an 'E' and husband Robert Edwards in the 1891 Wales census, living at 124 Treharris Road, Roath, Cardiff. They are shown with 3 children, Robert J , b. 1888, Leonard, b. 1889, and Ernest, b. 1891. Which makes me think that little Robert Jno shown with Thomas, John and Charlotte may not be the same Robert J living with their sister, Elizabeth....After all, he can't be in the same two places, can he? Perhaps, I have the wrong E Edwards?

Another mystery to solve....

No comments: